Summer Friday R + R Mask Review and Ingredients Breakdown (compared to Overtime Mask)

P.S. Overtime Mask Ingredients breakdown is below but I have yet to try it YET, I'm not sure if I want to commit, maybe I'll get  sample, but there are so many reviews already at this point I'm sure there's a more thorough one out there.

The first obvious comparison is the price. There's an $8 difference for the same amount of product and the R+R is their most expensive mask. $4 more than their original cult favorite Jet Lag Mask which started the company. 

I tried the Jet Lag and I wasn't impressed, I kept trying it again and again and I seriously don't know what it was. My eyes, first of all, were overly sensitive to it I kept tearing up and I haven't seen that on anyone's review (I'm just probably extra weird). Under makeup, as a mask, as an overnight mask, taken off with just water, taken off with a warm damp cloth, still no avail. I tried it for a month.
It was such a bummer as everyone loves it and I really wanted it to work for me, you know to show me dewy glowy skin that everyone was achieving. 

From my disappointment, I didn't try the overtime mask. I was a bit heartbroken lol. Then as soon as I saw rose pictures on their Instagrams I was hyped up all over again. Something about roses. The thought of smelling roses, seeing them, everything. As soon as it was available on the Sephora app I hopped in and ordered mine, flash shipping baby! 

When I put it on, to me it didn't feel like a mask texture, there's some grit and it was like a gel that doesn't set either. I loved the smell, by the way, I mean, I love roses. Washed my face, towel dried a bit then left it on while I took a body shower as it wasn't a hair wash day. Right after I took it off with a damp towel I noticed an oil-ish glow if that makes sense. When I splashed water on my face, it trickled down as if there was a film, which there probably was from the oils. 

I decided to not put on moisturizer or toner just to really see what it'll do while I was asleep. I woke up with nice bouncy dewy skin and thought "okay okay you're good" but also wanted to see how it was going to be after I used my face wash. It still looked very nice but without the sort of oil residue anymore, applied my moisturizer and headed out. Right now its been about 5 hours since I washed my face this morning and I still look glowy! I'm sure it's the rose in here my skin loves rose. Usually also when I use something oily my skin will get some whiteheads, but this time SO FAR, it hasn't. I used jojoba oil as a face moisturizer and bam some on my chin. So it doesn't matter what oil, it just doesn't like it. But since it was used as a mask then taken off maybe that's why it worked? 

Now, these two masks seem to have some similarities when it comes to the claims except the overtime is clarifying and doesn't contain silica which the R+R does. I'm now curious about the overtime after being so impressed with this one. Although the Overtime Mask does contain way more ingredients it costs less. Maybe the ingredients are cheaper and Bulgarian roses costs an arm and a leg? I'm not sure. 

I don't know if I can keep spending the $52 for a mask so I will try to replicate the effect by using a rosewater toner and do a "mask" if you will with the avocado, sesame, argan and grapeseed oil that I already own. Going to try and look for the safflower oil as it is the first ingredient. If you have some of these things why not try it? If you buy everything for sure it'll end up maybe more than $52 so like me I'm choosing to see what I have already and compare to see. 

Final Thoughts:
I love love loveee this mask. Pair it with the Pixi Rose flash balm wooooow it would be amazing. Right now I'm using the Derma E vitamin C Moisturizer and that's still giving me a glowy look but the pixi one is my favorite. Again, cause, hello, ROSE. The price is definitely what's holding me back but hey for some it's probably not a big deal. I support their brand in being clean, and cruelty free so I don't feel so bad but for sure will get another when that VIB sale hits.     

Sorry in advance for the sleepy bare faces. Ingredient list breakdown is after the photos.                   



← mask on 








←right after rinsing off with a damp wash cloth, water is slipping due to that oily residue



←right after patting my face dry ( I didn't apply anything else after no toner or moisturizer to see how well it does)


←right when I woke up












←right after washing my face with a face cleanser and applying moisturizer in the AM





R&R Mask

Dark spots, Dryness, and Fine lines and wrinkles 

-For petal-soft skin, smooth out rough days with this spa-worthy replenishing mask. Delicately ground wild rose powder whisks away dead skin cells, while a dream team of antioxidant-rich oils steep skin in luxe moisture, nurturing fatty acids and soothing healing. 

Overtime Mask

-A clarifying mask that uses vitamin-packed pumpkin and exfoliating apricot seed powder to polish away dead skin cells for a luminous effect. 

This mask is formulated without fragrance, silicone, and gluten, vegan, and cruelty-free

Highlighted Ingredients:

- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C): Provides antioxidant benefits, skin brightening properties, and supports natural collagen synthesis 
- Argan, Safflower, Sesame, Avocado, Grape Seed Oils: Provide fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants while soothing irritation. 
- Rose Flower Powder: Polishes. 

Highlighted Ingredients:

-Pumpkin: Packed with fruit enzymes, vitamin A, and vitamin C to smooth and brighten skin. 
-Apricot Seed Powder: Natural gentle exfoliating powder that removes dead skin cells and helps circulate blood flow to skin. 
-Beta Carotene: Supports natural cell turnover, creating a natural-looking glow. 

 

Ingredients&Benefits/Purpose

 

1.      Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil,

-anti inflammatory/antioxidant

 

2.      Sucrose

-sugar (probably what the white grit is?)

 

3.      Silica

-doesn’t harm skin no seen benefits from this but there are mask like blue lagoon silica mask that “heals”

 

4.      Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil,

-anti inflammatory/antioxidant

 

5.      Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil,

-moisturizes

 

6.      Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride,

-combination of plant sugars and fatty acids derived from palm and coconut oils, resulting in silkier lighter feeling oil

 

7.      Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil,

–known for having a long shelf life/thicken oil

 

8.      Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C),

-brightening, stimulates collagen

 

9.      Rosa Damascene (Bulgarian Rose) Flower Oil,

-strong healing, anti aging properties

 

10.     Rosa Gallica (Rose) Flower Powder,

-exfoliant

 

11.     Tocopherol (Vitamin E),

- anitoxidant, nourishing

 

12.     Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil,

-moisturizes increase collagen production

 

13.     Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil,

-tightening, moisturizer, antioxidant

 

14.     Tocopheryl (Vitamin E) Acetate,

-anitoxidant, nourishing

 

15.     All Natural Fragrance,

 

16.     Phenoxyethanol,

-preservative

 

17.     Ethylhexylglycerin.

-preservative

 

Ingredients&Benefits/Purpose

 

1.      Water,

 

2.      Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil,

-helps skin cells be healthy, fine lines, moisturize, protect from uv radiation

 

3.      Glycerin,

-moisturizer

 

4.      Isopropyl Palmitate,

-binder (not skin related)

 

5.      Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil,

-anti inflammatory/antioxidant

 

6.      Glyceryl Stearate SE,

-emulsifying agent

 

7.      Cetearyl Alchol, Ceteareth-20,

-enhance skin absorption

 

8.      Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Seed Powder,

-removal of old skin (exfoliant)

 

9.      Beta-Carotene,

-antioxidant, helps even skin tone, tinting agent in some tanning lotions

 

10.     Acrylates/Palmeth-25 Acrylate Copolymer,

-viscosity controlling

 

11.     Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Protein,

-film former, skin conditioning

 

12.     Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil,

-skin conditioning

 

13.     Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Extract,

-skin conditioning

 

14.     Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract,

-skin conditioning, perfume

 

15.     Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower

-fragrance

 

16.     Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract,

-skin conditioning

 

17.     Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil,

 -skin conditioning

 

18.     Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil,

-skin conditioning

 

19.     Myristica Fragrans (Nutmeg ) Kernel Oil,

-fragrance

 

20.     Elettaria Cardamomum Seed Oil,

 -perfume

 

 

 

21.     Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Oil,

-skin conditioning,fragrance

 

22.     Tocopheryl (Vitamin E) Acetate,

 

23.     Xanthan Gum,

-binder, emulsifier

 

24.     Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate,

-chelating agent(bonding agent)

 

25.     Phenoxyethanol,

-Preservative

 

26.     Ethylhexylglycerin,

-Preservative, skin conditioning

 

27.     Cinnamic Aldehyde,

-from cinnamon bark, fungicide

 

28.       Eugenol.

-found in clove oil, associated with allergies and contact dermatitis

 

Comments

  1. I’m really impressed with your article, such great & usefull knowledge you mentioned here. Thank you for sharing such a good and useful information haute her home Solution for face oil tips

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABH/Sigma/Morphe/Real Techniques Brushes Dupe for $2-5